Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Peek Inside My Job(s)


I do consider myself a full time business owner where I set my own schedule and work from home. But what some of you might not know is that before I took that plunge, I worked full time for an animal clinic where we also work with rescues, humane societies, and we rehab wildlife. It's such a stressful, yet rewarding job where there is never a dull minute. That's why when I left there in November of 2013, I happily told them I would love to fill in for vacations and various days off for my co-workers. It's a perfect situation for me and them! They get someone to fill in when they are short handed, and I get to get back with the public, the animals, and the best group of co-workers you could ask for. Occasionally I can't fill in sometimes, but most of the time, I jump on the opportunity.  You seriously never know what you are going to get from one day to the next. Early in my career there, a gentleman handed me a six foot python and told me he could no longer keep it. That was the first time I ever held a snake. It was a nice snake, thank God!

For the past few months I've been filling in a lot, and I'll be filling in a lot more during the summer months. I've shared pictures on the blog of cool things or unusual animals we get in. Last week we even made the local news. Since our doctor is a generous man and and exceptional veterinarian, we make the news a lot. A few months ago it was a coyote that fell off the third floor of a parking garage. We fixed his leg and he was later released. Yesterday a man was walking his dog and was shot. Unfortunately he didn't make it, but animal control brought us the dog which we did a leg amputation. Below is a link to the news article. You can see the interview with my boss and the treatment room where all the big stuff goes down!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/11427248-dogs-leg-will-be-amputated-following-shooting-that-killed-owner

4 comments:

  1. I remember some of your stories from when you were working there full time. The owl is the one I remember the most. What a perfect situation you have there.
    So sad about the man who was shot and his dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart your boss is for doing pro bono jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tragic story! I feel for that dog having lost its owner and now its leg. The clinic sounds amazing and so rewarding. I would never be able to walk away from a job like that 100% either. The photos are heart wrenching seeing wildlife behind bars but I know you guys fix them up so they can get back to their lives.

    You are quite brave to handle a 6 foot python! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember several of the stories you've shared and I think this one will stick with me, too. How horrible, but at least your boss was able to save the dog.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...